Friday, July 31, 2009

Garden bounty update

I got all of this except the cucumbers out of our garden today. We've still got butternut squash, zucchini, watermelons, tomatoes, peppers, fingerling potatoes, broccoli, and various herbs growing robustly in all the rain we've had over the past week.

And the best part is it's all pesticide, non organic fertilizer, and herbicide free.

Oh and for those of you who are crowing about the study that said there was no difference between organic food and food grown with pesticides and petroleum based fertilizers, I'd encourage you to find out who funded that study. It was probably Monsanto. And if it turns out to be a legit study, then by all means I encourage you to sprinkle some pesticide all over all your meals. I'll stick to eating food that's free from all the additives the corporate farms use thank you very much.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Study schmuddy. Organic produce just tastes 100% better and that alone makes it worthwhile. And here I was all excited when I saw the counter full of veggies because I thought you were going to cook something spectacular.

Devilham said...

Agreed, and while it may not be nutritionally better per se, that does not mean that the pesticides aren't poisonous. The study just compared the nutrient levels, not the toxin levels.

Give me my farmers market veggies any day of the week over big aggro's crap. I had farm fresh eggs this past week that were so unbeleivably delicous it would blow your mind.

splord said...

Magnificent!

There's not even a yard here, but luckily, there's a weekly farmer's market (year 'round, cause it's the tropics), with all kinds of veggies and fruits, fresh off the vine/tree!

Karen Zipdrive said...

What I couldn't do with those fresh veggies! Nicely done, monkey bro.
P.S. Have you seen my new foodie blog? You betta.

Mnmom said...

What Devilham said.

Mine are compost-and-dirt-only grown and I for one don't want dangerous chemicals anywhere near my food if I can help it.

Here's how I like summer squash and zucc: thick slice them the long way, skin on, and marinate in olive oil, wor. sauce, soy sauce, and garlic. Grill lightly.

kelsi said...

you lucky man! those are some lovely, lovely veggies.

K.Line said...

OK, these veggies whipped up into some fab meal plus the raspberry custard tart I made today and we are laughing!

Anonymous said...

I have family members who make their living by farming. They know what they spray on their crops, and they buy nothing but organic. Kind of tells you something, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

That study smelled like bullshit to me. Maybe organic produce isn't nutritionally that much better, but not being fed with petroleum based fertilizers and sprayed with poison have to have an effect (and were not, I believe, the focus of the "study"). That said, lovely veggies. My brother said that something (might be a groundhog) is eating his almost ripe tomatoes. The lower ones. He thinks it will stop once the higher placed tomatoes start to turn. Hope so. I'm going down next weekend to see.