Saturday, May 2, 2009

Look what we can do

We've become Mr. and Ms. Fix It since we moved in to our new house. Today we replaced a screen in a sliding screen door! Our house has stayed pretty cool through out this early heat wave, except for our TV room. It gets hot in there because there is a huge sliding glass door and window that faces the west and the sun streams in and it heats up the room like crazy. I fished out the sliding screen from under the deck a few days ago and this is what it looked like before we fixed it: Notice the massive hole in the bottom of the screen. It was big enough for a pig with human flu to get through. So we trotted off to our local big box hardware store to see what replacement doors or screen repair kits cost. After much debate we decided to get a roll of screen, some spline (that's the stuff the holds the screen in place in the groove in the screen door), and a spline intaller tool to fix the door with.

So this afternoon I ripped out the old screen and the old spline and I cleaned the door. Then when Sparky got home from work we installed the new screen and this is what it looks like now: It's fantastic now. We can open the door and let the room cool off naturally and leave it open all the while we watch TV at night. Before we had to close it after an hour or so because moths and other insects were coming in. Now we can leave it open and enjoy the night air! It was actually insanely easy to install the new screen, the only hard part was getting the door into the track after we fixed it. All in all it cost us about $28 to fix the door and it would have cost us Jeebus knows how much to get a custom made door if we had to go that route. So we saved a bunch a money by doing it ourselves and we got the cool night air without bugs every night if we want it. Boo ya!

8 comments:

Cormac Brown said...

Are you growing a Bob Villa beard to go along with your new proficiency? ; )

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

That's spline-tastifc!

K.Line said...

So impressive! I have the taller version of that plastic storage bin, btw. Got it at Home Depot.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Good job, you handy creatures!

I actually once replaced a door screen that had been shredded by cats myself, so I would like to suggest a club for those of us who have actually touched the spline. And we would mock those who haven't.

Anonymous said...

Do you have an attic or crawl space above your celing?

I added a solar attic fan to my roof a few years ago. It works great.

Utah Savage said...

I swear, I need new screens every couple of years or so. But I am the least handy woman on earth. Too bad I can't be nicer, I might be able to talk a nice man into helping me. But then there is that "handy" thing.

Anonymous said...

Spline! I love collecting new words. Thanks.

Distributorcap said...

i have a couple things around here that need attention --- and i serve great food