Monday, March 3, 2008

Movie review times two

We watched two Oscar winning films this weekend. The first one we saw was this one:
Once is a brilliant, sweet, well made modern musical. It has no violence, or sex, or even many bad words and yet it succeeds on all levels. Unlike in most musicals the actors don't just erupt in song for no reason at all, instead the songs they sing are part of their characters and part of the plot as a whole.

The songs, the actors, the direction, the flow of the film are all superb. I must admit I was wary of this movie when it first came out on DVD but after seeing it I can safely say it is the finest musical I have seen in many many years. Think of it not as a musical but as a film about people who make music and who sing and play during the film.

The leads in this film were so cute I wanted to pinch their cheeks all through the movie. I recommend this one highly, in fact, it's so good you may want to own it.

The other Oscar winner we saw was:The sound of people across the country when Marion Cotillard won Best Actress was a collective, "Huh? Who the heck is she?" Well kids, she's a fine French actress that's who the heck she is. And you know what? Her English is a damn sight better than your French, because she speaks English fluently. And I know this because I saw her in the Russell Crowe movie A Good Year. Pretty easy on the eyes isn't she? That's her in A Good Year.And that's her at the Oscars.This is her as Edith Piaf. She makes a fine Piaf and that's why she won the Oscar. She is stunning in this film. Yes, it's a biopic but when you see it and you see what she does as Piaf and with her character and then you'll see why she won the award. It's a masterful piece of acting and she may never top it, seriously it's that good a performance.

Now, is the movie as a whole up to the standard Ms. Cotillard sets? Sadly, no. I found it to be a tad long and somewhat disjointed, although the non linear story may have had something to do with the disjointedness.

But what I found most aggravating was towards the end they toss in a bit about a child she had with some dude from her street urchin days. That bit felt forced and tacked on to make her seem more tragic to us. In mystery novels the author has to give the readers clues to who "did it," it's called "playing fair with the reader," in this film the director did not play fair with us viewers by inserting this subplot in the film so late.

I recommend this film reluctantly and you should see it because Marion Cotillard is so good in it.

15 comments:

Pilkey said...

I was driving through the breathtaking southern Appalachians just south of Asheville this weekend and as I barreled down the steep grade heading into Shelby, passing truck after truck that were desperately fighting gravity's pull, I tuned into WNCW and heard the song "Falling Slowly" for the first time. What an excellent tune. It is one of those heartbreaking tunes you instantly love. I understand this film was made for a mere $150,000 and in 17 days. Take that Hollywood!

Ubermilf said...

Hi, Monkey.

I read you every day, even if I have nothing to say.

Just wanted to let you know that you make my life less dreary.

dguzman said...

Thank you for the reviews, Monkey. I hadn't even heard of Once until all the furor over the Best Song award, and I don't know if I'll watch it or not. But I know I won't watch the Piaf piece--I like her for the most part, but her voice starts to grate on my nerves after only a couple of songs.

Wandering Coyote said...

I LOVED Once; thought it was beautiful and brilliant and though the music was so haunting and wonderful. Falling Slowly is one of my favourite songs now.

I haven't seen La Vie en Rose, but I should get ahold of a copy.

Mauigirl said...

I haven't seen Once but will try to now!

We've seen La Vie En Rose twice - once at the movies and once on On Demand (movie download). My husband and I love Edith Piaf's music so we had to go see the movie.

Marion Cotillard was amazing as Piaf. If you Google some videos and pictures of the real Piaf you can hardly tell the difference. Of course it is partly the makeup (the movie also won the Oscar for that) but Ms. Cotillard was fantastic, the way she really lived the character.

I agree it was a bit disjointed, but my research on line after the movie revealed that her own memoir that she wrote toward the end of her life was written that way, jumping back and forward in time. I have no proof of it but perhaps the movie was based on her memoir and imitated its style of non-linear time.

One thing is for sure, you really understand her as a person by the end of the movie.

DGuzman, I know what you mean about her songs - I can't just sit there and listen to a whole album of them at once even though I do love the music; some music I can just leave on in the background and let it go on for hours - Billie Holiday, for instance. Not so with Piaf, for me. But in the movie the songs are interspersed with the story so that you don't get tired of her way of singing.

GETkristiLOVE said...

I saw Once over the weekend too and found it to be wonderful -it was very heart-felt and unpredictable. The music was awesome and now I'm so glad that song one and that Jon Stewart brought Marketa back to give her speech, which was very charming

kim said...

Monkey,

Isn't it great when actresses are hot AND they can act? That is so cool.

Ed said...

I've seen Once. I enjoyed it, but I must say most of the music scenes were rather unrealistic. Every single movie I've ever seen that portrays life as a musician gets it wrong (with the possible exception of This Is Spinal Tap which, despite the fact that it was a parody, was frighteningly realistic at times.) Recording just doesn't happen that way, rarely do two people sit down and instantly make beautiful music together, and you don't pick up a group of musicians, go into the studio with little or no rehearsal and record a bunch of great songs in one night. At least, I've never experienced it that way. Maybe I just suck. I'd say it was sort of a time-lapse view of how things work, or maybe a fairy tale view, both of which I think are okay. Now that I'm down off of my soapbox, I have to say I think it was a good film.

I haven't seen La Vie En Rose, but it's on my list.

Thanks for the reviews and sorry about the little rant!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

These are both films which are on my to-see list, and now with your recommendations, they move up the chain. Thanks for the headsup.

Blueberry said...

I totally agree with you on both movies. Marion was really really wonderful, but the story line was hard to follow. I think the filmmaker assumed that we all knew the story out here in audience-land, but that's not the case.

Suzy said...

No sex in Once, but there was reference to "hanky panky." Be forewarned. I loved that movie, love the soundtrack. The actors/musicians are coming here in June; I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to spring for the pricey tickets (and I'm not crazy about the venue -- a huge concert hall.)

Romius T. said...

La vie stares at me everytime I open my netflix account , I can watch it "instantly" your review has reinforced what I have read and heard about this movie, her performance ..great the movie..so so. I will consider it now though!

Romius T. said...

Wait just how the fuck do you get 13 commetns on your movie reviews? I get 2 sometimes only pity comment by you? You must tell me your secret!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Salty-This is the type of movie Hollywood would never ever make.

Ubermilf-You are too sweet. Now I feel bad about all the grafitti I wrote about you in all those public restrooms. I take it all back.

Dguzman-See Once at least.

Wandering Coyote-I read your views on Once and that's what turned the tide for me.

Maui-Do check out Once when you can. You'll like it as well.

GKL-I could just imagine her backstage telling John Stewart that she didn't get to speak and I can just see his heart melting and him deciding to let her go back out.

Kim-Yes.

Ed-Just keep telling yourself "It's only a movie, it's only a movie." :)

Barb-You're welcome my dear.

Blueberry- He made an ass of of u and me when he assumed.

Suzy-If you go then let us know how it was.

Romius-How do I get 13 comments? Two words: clean living bitch.

Crayons said...

Dr.
How weird, I just finished watching "La Vie en Rose" on my laptop while drinking 1/2 bottle of red table wine.

I agree so much with your analysis. The film rubbed me the wrong way, but she did a terrific job portraying Piaf.