Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Question of the day

Today's question comes from my good blog friend and Winter Reading Challenge compatriot, the Quaker Vixen of the north, Suzy. Suzy wants to know: Which are smarter, cats or dogs?

On one hand, dogs are pretty damn smart because they can respond to and understand human speech and demands, while we on the other hand can not understand them for the most part. So I'd have to go with dogs. But.....

On the other hand cats may be able to understand us but they have the sense enough not to let us know if they do. By making us bend to their will cats are pretty smart. And they are more independent than dogs.

But on the third hand, yeah I know, "third hand" doesn't exist, well neither does the "third eye" smart ass, both dogs and cats have allowed themselves to be domesticated so both creatures reap the benefits of humans being at the top of the evolutionary ladder.

But, and this is my last "but" I promise, since I'm a dog person, I'd say dogs are smarter.

Thanks for sending in that question Suzy! You rock.

Get out those handkerchiefs kids because tomorrow is the end of "Question a Day." And to those of you who sent in two questions, I appreciate your zeal but in order to be fair to everyone I chose only one of your questions.

5 comments:

Missy said...

Our cat responds to her name and some commands.

Our nile monitor and our boa constrictors all have a "third eye".

Meanwhile, I have actually been longing for a St. Bernard or an Irish Wolf Hound lately.

dguzman said...

Niblet is smarter!

Oh man, I love this questions thing; I'm sad it's over.

GETkristiLOVE said...

I don't know... Tobiko just figured out how to use Tivo to record Animal Planet. Let's see a dog do that.

Anonymous said...

My cat will also come on command. Um, you know what I mean, not that.

BTW, being a simian, it would seem that you would be able to use the "one the one hand, the other hand, and the other hand" thing, as you have opposable thumbs on yo feets.

Just remember the dog's creed since domestication; You gonna finish that?

Suzy said...

Ha, my friend. It was a trick question! MONKEYS are smartest!