Friday, March 4, 2016

They has a sad

A bunch of wannabe hardcore 'vanguard of the revolution' Communists on Facebook have their panties in a twist because I stood up for free speech.  They maintain that KKK members and fascists should never be allowed to speak.  I informed them that free speech means all speech is free, not just speech they like and agree with.  They then called me a 'Nazi liberal,' a KKK enabler, a racist, and other stupid shit.  And one even pulled out the old 'Would you let Hitler say bad stuff about Jews?' card, to which I replied that yes, I would, because the trade off for me getting to say what I want is that others get to say what they want, that's what free speech is.  Some dude then told me that's why free speech is a bad thing and another said I should be shipped off to a gulag, which made me laugh because in his small mind he's got access to a gulag.

We didn't make huge gains against racism, fascism, homophobia, misogyny, and other societal ills by cutting off people's speech.  We made huge gains by letting the racists, fascists, the KKK, the homophobes, and women haters speak and hang themselves with their own words.  We made gains when they used their own hateful speech that allowed others to see them for what they are, small hateful bullies.  But to some of today's youth free speech is bad because it might hurt someone else's feelings.  So from the comfort of their warm safe spaces they called me a pseudo leftist and a KKK sympathizer who loves to defend fascists even though they'd never ever defend me.

All of them but one has dropped me from their friends list on Facebook, which is a good thing because my risk of permanent eye injury has dropped by 75% due to the fact that my eyes won't roll back in my head after reading another of their insipid political posts.

Not all young people today are as mindless and clueless as these kids, and thank goodness for that.

No comments: