Thursday, October 8, 2015

My favorite British comedy sketch shows

In no particular order, they are:
Big Train was co created by Graham Linehan of Father Ted and The IT Crowd fame  This sketch show is at times surreal and weird but it's almost always very funny.  In the second series they added the lovely Rebecca Front, Tracy Ann Oberman, and Catherine Tate.  All episodes are on You Tube.

One of the most bizarre and insane series ever produced and aired on the BBC.  It aired once and was quickly shelved before they decided to release it on DVD and then to some of the streaming services in the USA.  It used to be on Netflix and it might still be on Hulu.  I can't summon the words to tell you what it's about but trust me, it's funny and bizarre.

Very funny show that showcases all the wonderful characters that Ms. Tate has come up with.  Also on the plus side it features Melanie Hudson in some sketches.

The grandaddy of most all modern British comedy, Monty Python's Flying Circus.  This show set the gold standard for comedy in the 1970's.  It's fashionable for kids to day to mock it and deride it because many of the bits are now passe or not 'shocking' anymore, but they'll never ever know the thrill those of us in my generation got when we first got hooked on this absurd and outlandish comedy.  I've seen it repeatedly and it still makes me laugh.

I discovered this show after I had my open heart surgery in 2004.  It helped immensely in my recovery.  I never got down because if I felt like having a pity party, we slap in one of these DVDs and we'd laugh ourselves silly.  It's hard to believe that two guys came up with all these characters and sketches.

Funny sexy women doing funny sexy sketches.  I adore this show.

It only ran for six episodes and I'm not sure I saw all of them but the ones I did see were terrific. 

I discovered this show when we got Netflix.  We've had Netflix for a few years now and I've seen this one at least twice all the way through.  It's still very very funny.

No comments: