Monday, April 29, 2013

Film and TV reviews

 Top of the Lake is a moody little police procedural that takes place in the southern lake district of New Zealand.  A 12 year old girl is caught trying to commit suicide, gets saved, and the authorities find out she's five months pregnant.  Her family is a pool of lowlife drug dealers and worse, so she runs away.  All the cops investigating her disappearance are harboring secrets, some darker than others.  Toss in an enigmatic American woman leading a group of dysfunctional women back to normalcy and you've got quite a story. 

I really enjoyed this atmospheric series, it's seven episodes long.  It's well written, well acted, and well photographed.  I highly recommend it.


 This fly on the wall documentary tells the story of some door to door bible salesman in the late 1960's.  It's a fascinating look at a a few guys doing a tough job.  Sales isn't easy and what these guys do is tougher than most.  Going into people's homes is hard, selling them is hard, I know because I used to do it.  Ironically enough, I used to sell cancer insurance door to door, I did it for a few months.  It's tough.  I have a lot of respect for these guys, I have no respect for the goods they sold, but for the men themselves, yes. 

I found this one on the Criterion Collection section of Huluplus, it's well worth your time.  It is indeed a classic.

1 comment:

dguzman said...

Whoa, I sell cable door-to-door. I should check this film out for tips.

And yes, I hate my fucking job.