Thursday, January 24, 2013

Cooking with Dr. Monkey

Today's episode: Acquacotta Di Santa Fiora (aka Tuscan Bread Soup).
I got this recipe out of the cookbook Flavors of Tuscany by Nancy Harmon Jenkins.

I started off by chopping up two small yellow onions, 2 cloves of garlic, one stalk of celery, and about a half cup of ham.  The recipe calls for pancetta but since I didn't have any I used ham.  I tossed all that in to my cast iron stock pot in which I had previously heated about two tablespoons of olive oil and some sea salt and cracked pepper.  I let it simmer together while I peeled and chopped four medium potatoes.
I added the potatoes to the pot and then I added one cup of my home canned tomatoes.
 Then I tossed in a can of Cannellini beans.
I added three cups of water to the pot, gave everything a stir, and then I brought it all to a boil.  Once it had a slow boil I turned it down to low and let it simmer for 40 minutes.

 Simmer, simmer, simmer.

After it had simmered for 40 minutes I took it off the heat and I added one cup of ricotta cheese and a cup of cut up fresh spinach.  
I added it to the pot, chopped up a dried red chili pepper, tossed it in the pot as well, and gave it a stir.  Next I toasted some of Sparky's homemade bread and I laid the slices in some shallow bowls.  Then I ladled the soup over it.
Houston, we're ready to eat. 

The verdict:  most excellent soup that went down well on a cold night. 

This recipe is pretty simple to prepare and it's loaded with flavor and lots of good things that are good for you.  I'll definitely make it again and next time I'll only add two cups of water but I'll add two cups of tomatoes.  I'll also amp up the spices, especially the pepper.  It's a nice mellow soup that goes down well.  The recipe called for bitter greens and home cooked beans but since I had neither I made substitutions.  Like I said, it was all very good and I'll definitely make this again.

1 comment:

brewella deville said...

Beans, greens, and pancetta/ham. That's one of my favorite combos these days.