Thursday, April 22, 2010

Musical discoveries of the week

In my travels across the vast series of tubes we now know as the internet, I've discovered this great new to me musical group from Canada:
They're known as The Good Lovelies. They play really fun and harmonious 'roots' music. I hate that term but they use it themselves so I can as well. In their case 'roots' means they sing and back themselves up with guitars and mandolins.
All three of the are hubba hubba to the nth degree and even more than that what I love about them is how much fun they look like they are having while singing and playing their distinctive music.There's nothing better than being entertained by smart, funny, uber talented women.

Here's a great video of theirs:


While at my local library yesterday I perused the jazz CD's. And it was there that I found this great CD:I'm totally in love with this French jazz vocalist now. She sings predominantly in English on this CD but when she sings in her native tongue, it's va va va voom and hubba hubba all wrapped up in one beautiful package. Her English songs are flawless and they have that cute sound that non native speakers have when they use our language.
I highly recommend both Ms. Knopfler and The Good Lovelies.

5 comments:

SkylersDad said...

Hubba indeed!

lisahgolden said...

I love the Good Lovelies song you posted. Thanks for sharing it. I'll look for some music by Ms. Knopfler. Your recommendations are always top notch. With or without the hubba hubbas!

Laura said...

I really like The Good Lovelies a lot. I discovered them not too long ago myself while I was trying to be cultured and listening to CBC radio.. (usually tres boring but...)

Good choices Dr. Von M!!!

((Hugs))
Laura

Who you callin' housewife? said...

Yes! Another group of 3 Canadian chicks doing roots music. I've worn down my CDs by The Wailin' Jennys and The Be Good Tanyas. Glad to know there's something new for me out there. I'm always up for a Monkey recommendation.

If you haven't checked out the Jennys and Tanyas before, give these ladies a listen.

Laura said...

I LOVE The Be Good Tanyas, they are amazing.. :)