Sunday, December 13, 2009

Cooking with Dr. Monkey

This episode: Shoot out at the Car Wash! Or braised beef short ribs.

I love short ribs because they're cheap, usually around $3 0r $4 a pound, and full of flavor, when cooked properly. So here's how I cook them:
I start out by heating up some canola oil, soy sauce, and a tea spoon of cracked black pepper in a big cooking pot. When that mixture heats up I add the meat and I brown it on all sides. Sometimes I add a quarter cup of red wine, sometime not. This time I added it.
I also tossed in about 5 cloves of garlic. Then I turned the burner down to low and I made sure there was enough liquid to barely cover the meat. I let it cook for about three hours.
After the three hours was up I took the meat out and I cut the meat off the bone:
I then put the meat back into the hot liquid and let it simmer more while I finished making supper. I finished making my sweet and spicy oven roasted butternut squash and I made a spinach salad. When I finished all that took the meat out of the pot and I whisked in some flour and I made gravy out of the liquid in the pan.
I served the meat and gravy over some thinly sliced French bread that I had bought at Scratch, a local bakery that's down the street from our house. It was all quite tasty.

12 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

That looks divine! I make short ribs quite often too, but make people take the meat off the damn bones themselves. I like to marinate them in beer sometimes, sometimes red wine.

And if you braise them under the broiler first, you don't need to add any oil.

Fran said...

I have been thinking of trying to make these- have never done so. And then voila, here I come and here they are.

Instant beef karma! Thanks!

Margaret Benbow said...

Hey, your first picture worried me--I thought the dark splotchy parts were blood--but by the end it looked quite delicious. MMM MMM!
Do love to take a hunk of bread to sop up de gravy

Laura said...

Mmmm that looks SO good. I've never made these before. I'll have to try it soon and let you know how it goes!

I love squash. I haven't had it since Thanksgiving (Canadian in October). I'm the only one in our house that likes it. :(

Yum, yum, yum!

((Hugs))
Laura

erin said...

That is a ton of meat. How is it possible to digest all that meat! Holy digestive tract.

Lsamsa said...

Monkey...have you posted your recipe for 'sweet & spicy Butternut Squash' somewhere? I'd love to try it.
I love squash too Sunshine...so easy & sooo yummy!!

Laura said...

Lsamsa~ I see that you live very close to me! We'll have to get together and eat some squash! :D

Devilham said...

Oh god I love short ribs so much!!!! We used to cook them at the hotel I worked at, and I would take home made dinner rolls, and make shortrib sandwiches with them......so fucking good. And Dr. Monkey, thanks for the christmass card!!!! I have it hanging on my tree!!!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Thanks for your concern Erin but wasn't all that much meat. And didn't eat it all at one sitting. We had some the next day for lunch.

Anonymous said...

holy shit that looks good! also, i am having dutch oven envy. i got a new 3 qt lodge covered casserole for my birthday, which rules. i am longing to replace my crappy 6 qt dutch oven with a lodge. the green of yours is pretty. FWIW, the best purchase i made was one of those coated whisks (still a heavy wire whisk, but 'dipped' in some rubbery teflon) so that I can make sauces correctly without scraping the shit out of my enameled cast iron pots.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

We got that heavy ass Dutch oven pan at Ross in Bristol for fifty bucks SLF. It was quite the deal.

Lsamsa said...

Sunshine...whereabouts are you in this vast northern paradise??
Eating squash together...indeed, but only with a glass or two of red wine! :)