Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cooking with Dr. Monkey

Today's episode: Shepard's Pie
I began my first attempt at Shepard's Pie by peeling and chopping up three hefty red skinned potatoes, they were a little bit bigger in size than baseballs. After peeling and chopping then up I put them on to boil.

While they boiled away I put on my 'mince' to cook. And I started that by chopping and dicing up a medium yellow onion, a pablano pepper (I used pablano because I wanted a little bit but not too much heat.), and five cloves of garlic.
I sauteed all that chopped stuff in a pan and then I added a tbl spoon of paprika, a tbl spoon of fresh thyme, a tsp of crushed black pepper, a dash of cumin, and a tbl spoon of ground coriander. As the chopped aromatic veggies cooked I added about one quarter cup of pinot noir wine and then I put in two thirds of a pound of ground lamb. I simmered all that stuff together with six chopped up cherry tomatoes while my potatoes cooked.
When the potatoes finally got done I mashed them up with about a quarter cup of yogurt based butter substitute, Brummel and Brown is the brand I used, a dash of milk, and one third cup of finely chopped up Parmigiano-Reggiano. After I mashed them I got out my electric beater and whipped them so as to make them nice and fluffy. Next I took my mince off the stove and I put it in an 8x8 Pyrex pan and I spread it out evenly. Then I spooned on the mashed potatoes and it looked like this:
As you can see I don't have a piping bag so I had to settle for just spreading and smoothing out the potatoes. Then I put the nearly completed Shepard's Pie in the oven which I had preheated to 350 degrees and I baked it for 20 minutes. And this is what it looked like when it came out:
Those brown spots are from the juices that bubbled up during cooking. The potatoes had formed a nice hard crust on top but you can't tell it from the picture. I let it cool a little bit and I served it up with a salad made out of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and shredded carrot:
For my first try at making this dish I have to say it tasted pretty damn good. However, next time I'll use a bit more ground lamb (and you can use whatever ground meat you like and you vegetarians can use mushrooms and TVP if you like) and I'll bake it for 30 minutes at least. All in all I can see why the British love this comfort food dish and I'll be adding it to my repertoire, it'll be a great meal to make during the depths of the winter.

14 comments:

Mnmom said...

YUM! What a great way to use up leftover veggies and my ever-present bag-o-taters! Did you grow any potatoes in your garden? I'm thinking about sweet ones for next year.

PS - when I strike it rich I'm going to hire you as my personal chef with an alarmingly high salary. But you won't move to Minnesota, will you?

slyght said...

coincidentally, a welsh buddy of mine invited us over tomorrow night to sample his great-granny's age-old shepherd's pie recipe.

ever since i tried shepherd's pie on my first trip to the UK, if i see it on the menu anywhere, i get it. it's my favorite. yours looks pretty damn good, especially for a first time. congrats.

Wings1295 said...

I made this last week! But I used a different, 'simpler' recipe: with the beef I put corn and then layered my homemade mashed taters.

Yum!

Next time, I am thinking of experimenting with a layer of shredded cheese between the beef/veggie layer and the tater layer. :)

Margaret Benbow said...

This is definitely Shepherd's Pie Deluxe--coriander, pinot noir wine, yumm! I think one of the reasons it's such a great comfort food as that it's eater-friendly: nicely minced bites and creamy mashed potatoes, you don't have to rattle your nerves fighting your way through a tough steak.

MommyLisa said...

I love Brummel and Brown - it is a tasty alternative.

Looks delicious.

themom said...

WINE.....I forgot the WINE!! Damn, I will have to try this again! Yours looks scrumptious.

Deepti said...

Yum, that salad looks pretty tasty too.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Is it wrong to be craving shepherd's pie for breakfast?

Good idea to use lamb, it would be so much more flavourful than beef.

Deepti said...

I thought that it was always supposed to be lamb...hence "shepherd's pie"?

Either way, I'm hungry.

K.Line said...

Looks delish! I always find I need to add more "meat" to the pie (I use the veggie ground round stuff). Potato seems to overwhelm, no matter how much meat you use! Your mashed potatoes look great though. I'm going to try that yoghurt trick next time.

Elizabeth said...

I'll say it again: I'm hungry now, and I don't even eat meat!

Anonymous said...

My guys love potatoes in any form, so I'm surprised I've never made them Shepard's Pie. I'm already thinking of how to make it over a campfire.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

nom nom nom nom nom....

Lsamsa said...

I never experienced the joy of Shepard's Pie when I grew up. My Dad worked on the boats in the St. Lawrence for years & ate that (obviously not well made) dish every single day on the boats.
It wasn't allowed in our home.
Whoa...what a treat when I discovered it years later...one of my favourites!! Your recipe is totally enticing...yes, a dish I shall be serving over the long winter months.