Monday, July 6, 2009

Monkey Movie Reviews

In between the dented cans of the finest soy milk Serbia has ever produced and the boxes of out of date spices from grocery stores in Barbados and the off brand furniture and foul smelling candles that one finds in Big Lots discount stores, we found this Bollywood DVD for $3 the other day and so we bought it.
It's incredibly cheesy and it looks like the same production designer who designed the look of Moulin Rouge also designed this film. But having said that it's actually pretty good. It's your usual Bollywood love story that's been based on a Dostoevsky story. You heard it a million times, boy meets girl who is already in love with another man who may or may not be real. Toss in a lonely old woman, a stunningly beautiful hooker with a heart of gold, a monochromatic set with lots of pretty lights and shimmering things and that's your story. Oh yeah, of course there's a bunch of songs and dance numbers that feature cheesy lyrics and lots of hip shaking navel bearing red hot brown skinned women in saris.

In other words, it's just pure Bollywood fun that comes complete with cheesy songs and dance. It's got an unsual ending for a Bollywood movie but that makes it all the more fun.

If you like Bollywood, you'll like this one. I recommend it if you can find it.

I recently caught this film on Turner Classic Movie channel:
It made me realize that I am a classic art house film philistine because after years of hearing people rave about this film I must say that after finally seeing it, I hated it. Maybe I need to judge this film in the context of the time it was made in but I couldn't. I found it dull and too self conscious. Seriously, I got it right off, the kid isn't really a trouble maker, but every adult thinks he is so he stays in trouble. That's it. That's the film. I'm not kidding.

See this one if you must or if you, like me, felt like you had to because it's a part of the hallowed film cannon, but honestly, it's not very good. Or maybe I'm just a Philistine who didn't understand the underlying motifs and subtext. Or maybe they've been blowing smoke up our asses about Truffaut films all our lives.

4 comments:

Margaret Benbow said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I never could stand this movie, but feared I was the only person in the world who failed to find the delinquent sympathetic and adorable...finally realized that what taints the movie is Truffaut's (mostly delusional) identification with the outcast teenager. Truffaut had plenty of help and mentors as he was growing up.

Wings1295 said...

Never saw either of the films you reviewed myself. But I am always glad to find someone who is okay with admitting they don't like something that is considered "great art" or an "essential film".

I have tried going on THREE times to watch "Citizen Kane". I have not been able to get into it. Maybe I just need to be in the right mind-set. Or maybe it just isn't a film that is gonna speak to me.

monkey girl said...

My husband and I just rented/watched that Bollywood movie last week. Or I guess it would be more accurate/honest to say my husband watched the movie while I struggled to stay awake and finally fell asleep 10 minutes into the movie. My hubby had heard it was supposed to be the 'best bollywood movie' that's come out in the last decade.
The jury is still out on that one.

Anonymous said...

At the risk of being labeled a Philistine, can I say I never really enjoyed the original "Breathless."