Sunday, April 19, 2009

What I've been listening to recently

I picked this CD up from the used book and CD store. I really like it. It's a mix of rag time, bluegrass, and old time country and western. I lurve Michelle Shocked now, she's a good singer, a good musician, and she's cute as a button.

I resisted the retro white girl blue eyed soul sounds of Joss Stone for as long as I could. Now I'm not sorry to say, I'm been sucked in. I love her voice and her passionate singing style. I've been grooving to this CD for the past couple of days. I got it at the used book and CD store as well.

I picked this Stones CD at Tuesday Morning for $4.99. I'm not in love with all the tracks but enough of them are good to make me like the CD as a whole. I'm a Stones fan from way back and I've been enjoying hearing different versions of some of their standards and some songs I've never heard them do until now.

12 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Glad to see you partook of Record Store Day! I got some pretty good bargains myself.

BeckEye said...

I like Joss Stone and a lot of her songs, but there's always been something about her that bothers me. I guess it's that she's not very "authentic." She certainly has the voice of a blues singer, but she doesn't have the soul of one.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

She doesn't have the soul of a soul singer because no one really has souls Beckeye.

Anonymous said...

Years ago someone gave me a copy of Shocked's Campfire Tapes. I liked it a lot, but for some reason I never followed it up with any of her other stuff.

Sherry Pasquarello said...

i like joss stone. always have.

Dale said...

I love Michelle Shocked. Joss I like sometimes as well and did you know she's going to be on The Tudors this coming season?

Siana said...

Please go buy the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album. It's awesome.

I like Joss Stone as well and she seems to be a well rounded personality. Can sing great classic blues/soul songs and doesn't have the Amy Winehouse syndrome.

Johnny Yen said...

I love Michelle Shocked. She opened for Billy Bragg when I saw him here in Chicago in 1988. She did a cover of one of my favorite Steve Goodman songs, "Penny Evans," about a widow of a Vietnam soldier. There was also a thing she did on a radio broadcast that I think I will probably post about soon.

Blueberry said...

Michelle is a Texan, went to school at here at UT-Austin but I don't think she lives here now. We've seen her a few times - very good stuff and good politics woven through.

MommyLisa said...

cool stuff - lurve me some stones.

Blonde Goddess said...

I'm a huge Joss Stone fan too. I listened to her all day yesterday while cleaning. It made everything more enjoyable.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I get a little bored with Joss Stone, unfortunately. You might like a singer I saw this weekend. Though I don't think she has a CD, there is some music on her MySpace. A post about her on my blog.