Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Oh science, how I love thee

I had some of the shittiest science teachers ever minted in my academic career. My high school science teachers were more more interested in finding time to grab a smoke (Mr. Matlock) and or making sure their toupee was on straight (Mr. Roop). Then when I went to college I fell into a bottomless pit of boredom, jumbled explanations, and idiotic meanderings known as Dr. Burke's 'Jock Physics' class, it was supposed to be a science course for non science people like me but holy hell the class stank and I hated the professor, so I dropped his class. Then I landed in a biology class that was taught by the world's most boring man, Dr. Owens. I made a 'D' first semester in his class and I got a nice big fat 'F' in the second semester. I kind of wanted to like science but with all those bad teachers, they made it almost impossible to do so.


Thankfully as I got older I started reading about things on my own and I started watching science shows and documentaries on TV. And I got hooked on some of Simon Winchester's books, especially the ones about Krakatoa, the San Francisco earthquake, and the one about the guy who made the geological map of Britain. The last one especially moved me because it disproved much of the timeline of Biblical creation and therefore threw into doubt everything in the Christian Bible. So finally starting in my late 30's/early 40's I started to love science again.

And in my new found love of science are two TV shows that make me love science more and more each time I see them and those TV shows are:

Oh man, these shows are the best things ever. They teach you all about geology, plate tectonics, astrophysics, the vastness of the universe, black holes, and a bunch of other stuff you heard about but never took the time to learn about. If you have kids, or you know kids who are remotely interested in science then buy them these DVD's or record them on your DVR if you have one. Then watch them with those kids and when they ask why the shows are different from the stories the Bible teaches, tell them it's because science is truth and Bible stories are metaphors.

Mmmm, science. How I love you.

8 comments:

Snad said...

Yeah, I wish I had had teachers like Mike. He's a great teacher and makes the kids work hard. He burns stuff and blows stuff up, too. ANd he lets them do some of it, too. That's why they love him.

ReRe said...

you always give me such good ideas for things to watch!

NotSoccer Mom said...

sounds like we had some of the same teachers... so maybe there's still hope for me! i'm going to have to check these out. the kid might even like them too.

Mnmom said...

I had good teachers, but didn't take a real interest in the subject until my adult years. More's the pity. I love Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything". I'll look for these on DVD - we don't have cable.

Unknown said...

I hear ya. I'm addicted to the BBC series Planet Earth, Blue Planet, and I have the DVD set of Life of Mammals and Life of Birds.

I'd rather watch those than anything else.

I LOVE science, esp. biology and zoology.

Anonymous said...

I must have been fairly lucky, because I don't recall having any bad science teachers.

These two DVDs you mention, I've used them in tandem with Slim's science texts, and a whole slew of other programs from History Channel, Discovery, PBS, and anyone else who puts complex information together in fascinating ways.

Gifted Typist said...

Oh Man, are you a plate tectonics Geek too? I bet you're into string theory too. Admit it. you are aren't you. Brian Green's the man for that. He has DVDs too.

Snad said...

Ooooh. Plate tectonics. Yeah, baby! Yeah!