Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cooking with Dr. Monkey

Today's episode: Split Pea Soup

I started off by putting two No Chik brand bullion cubes into a pan with five cups of water. No Chik brand bullion is a great vegan bullion cube that makes broth that tastes exactly like chicken broth. I turned the burner on high so the water would heat up quickly and the cubes would dissolve as well too.

After the bullion dissolved I added one tablespoon of cracked black pepper, one tsp of paprika, one tsp of ground corriander seed, one half tsp of cumin, and a pinch of sea salt. I then chopped up and added a bit of pablano pepper, one third of a sweet red pepper, and half an onion. When it all came to a boil I added one cup of split peas. Usually the ratio is one cup of peas to three cups of water but Sparky requested that I make this batch of soup a little more brothy than usual so that's why I added the extra water this time around. As soon as I added the peas I stirred eveything around together and then I turned the burner down to the simmer setting and I let it all cook up for a little over an hour.

I made grill cheese sandwiches to go with the soup. I served the soup and sandwiches with a side of carrot sticks and some cherry tomatoes. This meal was just what the doctor ordered on a cold night. It was all quite tasty.


For you meat eaters out there just about any type of pork goes well with if put in this soup. I've made it with leftover ham, chopped up boneless pork chops, and even bacon bits. A word of warning though, if you make it using the suggested ratio of one cup peas with three cups water, keep a close eye on the soup as it cooks because it will get thick quickly and you may have to stir in more water to keep it from getting too thick.

12 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Oh, how I love split pea soup! Yours looks great! I usually make mine with a ham bone or a smoked pork hock.

S.M. Elliott said...

Looks fabulous. I've gotta try No Chik sometimes.

Elizabeth said...

I love split pea soup, Monkey! This recipe looks delicious, so I will try it soon.

themom said...

Excellent choice for a cold night. Sounds delicious.

Ubermilf said...

Do you know, I've NEVER had split pea soup? dare I try your recipe?

K.Line said...

Man, that looks so gorgeous! I want that for lunch. Like now. And I like my pea soup the same way, a bit brothy. I don't like it when the spoon stands straight up :-)

Dean Wormer said...

Hey Monkey- do you cook from scratch at this point, making up your own recipes?

I've read most of your "cooking with..." posts and it seems you have a pretty good knowledge of the culinary arts.

Plus- they make me hungry.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I pass it along to the wife, though she hates peas. We are always looking for new no-meat things to cook with.

Chris said...

I've made split pea soup only a few times but I've never really been happy with the texture of the peas, whether we soak them overnight or just use the quick soak method. Which did you do and any secrets?

lisahgolden said...

I've not had split pea like this! That looks good like the lentil soup I fell in love with last year.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Chris_ I don't use the pre soak method on split peas. It's straight from the bag/container into the cooking water for me. They cook quickly due to the fact that they are already split. And I don't make a huge amount at one time either.

GETkristiLOVE said...

I was just going to ask that question. I have a bag of split peas that I've had forever - keep meaning to make soup but kept meaning to look up a recipe where I didn't have to pre-soak them or anything. Thanks Dr. Monkey!