Friday, May 30, 2008

So long old friend

When I was a little boy I loved Saturday nights because I got to stay up late and at 10 o'clock I got to watch The Carol Burnett Show with my mom. I liked that show because it I got most of the jokes even though I was only a shade under ten years of age. But mainly I liked Carol Burnett because when my mom watched she laughed like crazy and I loved seeing her laugh. Our life in Detroit was pretty bleak at times, especially so for her what with a husband who was in and out mental hospitals and 5 kids to take care of virtually on her own and the only money we had coming in was the monthly welfare check. So Carol Burnett was an oasis of laughter in our lives and we loved watching it.

I'd watch it each Saturday and I'd wait for Harvey Korman and Tim Conway to crack either up. To me that was the epitome of comedy, making another comic actor beak up while doing the sketch, and later when I did improv and the show was tanking my friend Todd would always grab me and say, "Fuck making the audience laugh, you and I need to concentrate on making each other laugh," and when we did the show invariably picked up.

As I grew up the kind of comedy Carol Burnett and Harvey Korman lost it's appeal to me and I became too hip for their bad jokes and reliance on sight gags. I shunned watching them and I drifted towards Monty Python and Saturday Night Live. I thought I was too cool for their old time Borscht Belt bullshit. However I did continue to enjoy Harvey Korman in most Mel Brooks movies. I loved him Blazing Saddles, quoting his line, "That's Hedley!" after someone uses the word 'heady' is always funny to me and I'll never stop doing it. The tracking shot where the camera goes through the window and into the staff dinner table in High Anxiety still makes me laugh every time I see it, and it was so funny the first time I saw it I had to rewind the film and watch it four or five times, Harvey's shocked expression is too damn funny for words. His French aristocrat in History of the World Part One is a scream as well. Some of his later performances in Mel Brooks films were a bit stale to me but his good stuff more than made up for his mediocre stuff. No one did movie comedy like Mr. Korman.

Harvey passed away late yesterday at the age of 81. I'll miss him and I'll always be grateful for the laughs he gave me and my late mom. So long Harvey, I hope you reincarnated real soon.

15 comments:

GETkristiLOVE said...

I so identify with this, it's like I wrote this post - down to my Mom laughing hysterically and me not understanding all the jokes but Korman and Conway cracking up was worth the wait all the same.

Are you sure we're not twins separated at birth?

Hedley: "There might be legal precedent! Of course, landsnatching... land, land, LAND: see Snatch."

Bradda said...

R.I.P.

Ubermilf said...

"Borscht Belt bullshit???"

I wish I could slap you through this monitor.

Don't you think you're being the slightest bit uncharitable? They had to put together comedy that didn't offend censors. And it still makes me laugh.

Maybe that's because I'm part of the "Borscht Belt."

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Ubie-I'm not happy until I've made you mad or offended you in some way. Nah nah nah.

Claire said...

Nice tribute, I LOVED watching them with my mom when I was little, adn Conway cracking Korman up was the best part. I still like the show.

mwb said...

You're flagrant disrespect for borscht has been noted by the Beet Aficionados Society of America.

Their reprisal shall be swift and devastating!

Cup said...

I was so very sad to read this. Harvey was my best friend's favorite comedian. When we were kids, she named seven mice after him — Harvey I, Harvey II ... Harvey VII — years before George Forman did it.

My favorite thing about Harvey Korman? How Tim Conway would crack him up during a Carol Burnett skit.

Dean Wormer said...

It's "Hedley!"

dguzman said...

He was a great one. Fare thee well, Harvey.

Missy said...

Great farewell post! On to the next world, Harvey!

Ubermilf said...

Since most granulated sugar comes from beets nowadays, I hope you like your coffee as bitter as your bigotry.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Ubie-I don't drink coffee. Perhaps you need to stop reading me if I offend you so much.

Ubermilf said...

You won't get off that easily.

It's not me, but the beet industry, you should fear.

NotSoccer Mom said...

wonderful post! i too loved carol burnett. your description of your mom cracking up is probably how MY son sees me! he loves watching SNL with me (dvr'd), probably to hear me laugh. he says weekend update is his favorite but that's probably because i crack up the most! love your tribute to korman. so perfectly right on the nose!

Suzy said...

Loved that show, loved Harvey Korman. Hate borscht too, by the way.