Thursday, May 29, 2008

Cooking with Dr. Monkey

Tonight's episode: Or spicy stir fry vegetable tofu over jasmine rice.
We were due for a meatless meal here at Monkey Central so I decided to make veggie stir fry with rice but for some reason I decided to add tofu to the meal. My history with tofu is mixed at best. I've never been able to cook it where it didn't end up mushy, but not being one to shrink from a culinary challenge I decided to give it one more try. I started out by slicing off five thin pieces of tofu and I patted them dry between two paper towels. Next I sliced them into thin strips.Then I put them all in a bowl and I seasoned them with some Thai Spice Rub mix that we've got. I made sure all the pieces were covered evenly and then I let them sit while I sliced up my vegetables. I cut up one half a small zucchini, one small onion, one third of a red bell pepper, four large baby portabella mushrooms, three small celery stalks, and three large cloves of garlic.
I then put my rice on and I began heating up the wok. Into the wok I put about a quarter of a cup of canola oil and I let it get good and hot. After the oil got hot I gingerly put my spicy tofu pieces in. I let them cook for a good four minutes on each side before I put the peppers, onions, and garlic in. Then I added about a tablespoon of low sodium soy sauce.
After letting my tofu and aromatic veggies cook for a moment of two I tossed in the mushrooms and zucchini and I stirred it all around and let it simmer for a bit. Then while I toasted some Birdseed bread we got from Scratch Bakery, I also tossed in the celery and I let it cook in with everything else for about two minutes. I hate over cooked celery in my Asian dishes so I always put it in at the last minute and I serve everything while the celery is still crunchy.I served the vegetable tofu over some jasmine rice. Along with the bread I put out a couple small dishes of spicy peanut with the main dish. I'm happy to report that I finally got my tofu right. It was crispy and not at all mushy. The secret must be in pressing out as much water as possible and then cooking it in the oil for a good long time, three or four minutes anyway, on each side. The whole meal was quite tasty and I'm looking forward to cooking the rest of that package of tofu soon.

The moral of this episode is don't be afraid to keep trying something in kitchen, after all if millions of Asian people cook and love tofu I knew sooner or later I figure out how to cook it properly.

8 comments:

dguzman said...

Oh Monkey, it's so hot when you cook vegetarian!

Unconventional Conventionist said...

Awesome, I've been waiting for another "Cooking with Dr. Monkey" post. The other thing about tofu besides drying it like you did, is the firmness level. At my grocery store there are a couple options, and I buy the Extra Firm for stir fry.

For some applications you may actually want it mushy, and for those I get the "silken" or softest tofu. Damn it's just breakfast time here and now I'm all abother for Asian food!

Whiskeymarie said...

What U.C. said- buy really firm tofu. I like to take a clean, "flour sack" type towel and line a baking dish with it. Put the tofu in, then fold the towel over so that the tofu is kind of "wrapped" in it. Put another pan/dish on top of the tofu, the weight it with something like a big can of vegetables, or whatever. Let it sit in the fridge for 1-3 hours, and that tofu will be really, really firm and realy nice to work with- not mushy at all.
It's the only way I deal with tofu anymore, and I cook a lot of tofu.

There's my 2-cent's worth.

Bradda said...

I like to wrap steak around my tofu to dry it out and to add flavor. I kid, I kid...

Anonymous said...

I've tried the Whiskeymarie method and it does make a huge difference.

joshhill1021 said...

I was going to say what WM said. Really mash it down under a weight for at least an hour and you will get a lot of the water out., It is amazing how much water will come out too, I sometimes do this with the tofu wrapped in a paper towel and then on a drying rack on a baking sheet so that the water drains away from the tofu to really make sure it is dried and the paper towel is usually soaked and then there is quite a bit of water in the pan too. It makes it crispier and I also have started to us tofu a lot lately and it is worth the effort and time.

GETkristiLOVE said...

Salt and Pepper tofu is my favorite Asian tofu dish, but yours looks nummy!

dguzman said...

I buy the extra firm, but then I just slice into 1/2-inch slices, put seasonings on it, and bake it. Dries it right up.