Monday, February 25, 2008

Cooking with Dr. Monkey

Tonight's episode:
or

Spicy Sweet Potato Oven Fries! I began by peeling a couple of big white sweet potatoes, but you can use the orange sweet potatoes or even regular potatoes if you like. Then I cut them into French Fry-like shapes and I put them in a pan with some water and I boiled them until they were all fork tender.While the sweet potatoes boiled I got out some spices and I got out my big mortar and pestle. Let me put a plug in here for stores like TJ Maxx and Ross and Tuesday Morning. I love discount stores like those because I always find such great things there. I got that big mortar and pestle set for $29, anywhere else it would have been like fifty or a hundred bucks, at TJ Maxx, I got that big bottle of sea salt at Tuesday Morning, and I found that bottle of sweet Spanish Paprika at Ross. But I digress. I mixed a tablespoon and a half of crushed black pepper, a tea spoon of sea salt, two teaspoon of paprika, a half tea spoon of cumin, a heaping teaspoon of chili powder (not the hot variety), and a dash of that powdered cheese spice and I mixed it all up using my big mortar and pestle. Then when the potatoes were fork tender I covered the bottom of a 13 by 13 pyrex pan with extra virgin olive oil and I covered the potatoes with the spice mixture and I spread them out in the pan. I turned the oven on to high broil and I stuck the potatoes in. You don't need to broil the potatoes if you don't want, since they are already done, but since I'm off deep fried foods I like to broil them to make them a little bit crispy. Here they are before I broiled them. And that's what they looked like after. Not much difference in looks but there is a big difference in texture. I served the sweet potatoes with some big ass salmon cakes and a salad. Mmmmm, it was good.

You can buy the cheese spice I used in this recipe, and a shit load of other spices as well, by clicking here. We discovered Satan's Breath Spices on our first trip to the Atlantic Beach/Morehead City area of North Carolina. The guy who owns and runs the place also mixes the spices and he is a super nice guy and I highly recommend his Chinese Five Spice mix as well as the cheese spice I used in this recipe.

9 comments:

Missy said...

Where do you get bis ass salmon cakes?

I am totally going to make these fries and check out those spices. Excellent.

Cheesecake Maven said...

Salmon cakes! MMMM MMMMM GOOD!!! That's what we make with any leftover grilled salmon up here. Your tators sound wonderful!

Mnmom said...

Funny, I was just thinking about making salmon patties (as we call them) for dinner. Or maybe spaghetti with clams. I like to toss potatoes with just a bit of evoo and lots of garlic & sea salt. Roast em till they're crispy.

Tanya Espanya said...

You're on fire, baby! I love sweet potato fries but never think to actually make them. I will now, though.

Anonymous said...

That looks really good!

Joe said...

Oh man that looks tasty. Sweet potatoes roasted in the oven are one of my favorite treats.

GETkristiLOVE said...

Sweet, I yam what I yam!

vikkitikkitavi said...

Zingermans.com has great spices at pretty good prices. I got their little 5 buck tins of sweet and hot Spanish paprika, and I swear, it was like I'd never had paprika before. Now I put paprika on EVERYTHING.

Crayons said...

Most excellent. I don't know anything about sweet potatoes. These look delicious. The man at the fish market didn't know about big-ass salmon.