Sunday, December 9, 2007

A Dr. Monkey Movie Review Twofer


If you imagine that I liked a film entitled Fur: an imaginary biography of Diane Arbus then you'd be quite wrong. I hate this movie. I hated it so much I could not finish it. On the other hand if they made a straight bio pic of the artist Diane Arbus, I probably would have liked it very much because I love her photos of misfits. The words "listless," "turgid," and "insanely self important" fit this turkey. Despite the fact that Tom Cruise allegedly put his penis inside her, I like Nicole Kidman and while I'm not a huge fan of Robert Downey Jr, I do like some of his work. But I swear if I ever meet either one of them I'm going to salami slap them for making this piece of shit. And while I'm at it, I may bologna bop them upside their heads too.


I tried to watch this film but it had three strikes against it from the get go. One, Gretchen Mol is sexy and she can act, but as Bettie Page? I had my doubts. Two, Bettie Page was born in Kingsport, TN, not Nashville as this movie and some other websites state, note to film makers, if you start your film off by getting an important fact wrong then it's pretty likely that the rest of the movie will suck. Third, Gretchen Mol's "Southern" accent was as believable as Mike Huckabee's AIDS comment denials, in other words it sucked ass. If they miscast the actress who plays the main character, if they got important facts wrong right off the bat, and if the lead actress's accent grated on my last nerve, then do you think I would have sat through the rest of this film? If you said, "Not just no, but HELL NO," then you were correct. Thank god it was on one of the HBO's and that I didn't plunk down any of our filthy lucre to see this turkey.


I hope your cinematic choices of late have been better than mine.

11 comments:

Freida Bee said...

I had a "mental" image, Monkey, that arose when I went immediately from reading about you salami slappin' Nicole Kidman and RDJ to that Bettie Page movie pic. I'm just sayin'.

Deepti said...

I saw a trailer for "Fur", and immediately scoffed. I should've warned you..

kelsi said...

i saw no country for old men. it was worthwhile.
however, i might wait until it comes out on dvd if i were you. but nonetheless... beautiful, beautiful film.

Suzy said...

Six shorts by W.C.Fields. Bizarre and funny. Recommended.

Joe said...

Hey, I liked the Notorious Bettie Page. We're going to have to sit down over a couple drinks, play this DVD, and discuss it further.

Romius T. said...

I tried to watch this on IFC/ it sucked more than you say

Missy said...

The Bettie Page movie trailer was nice to watch.

I saw the movie King Corn: http://www.kingcorn.net/

It was not the most well made docu. ever but it sure made me terrified of farm policy and corn syrup!

dguzman said...

You know, I figured that Diane Arbus movie would suck. To get her, you'd have to do a straight documentary, I think. Nicole Kidman, lovely and strawberry-scented though she may be, made a bad choice there.

vikkitikkitavi said...

Hate Kidman. She is one of those actresses who is so obsessed with how she looks that she forgets to act. Blech. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch "Fur."

Regarding the Bettie Page movie, I think the filmmakers forgot that movies should have plots.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Freida-Stop fantasizing about my salami.

Jane-I won't hold it against you that you didn't warn me this time. But next time you better speak up.

Kelsi-I'll see it even though I don't like McCarthy's books too much. I do like the Cohen brothers.

Suzy-I love WC Fields.

Bubs-Can we just have the drinks and skip the DVD?

Romius-They will build a monument to it's suckiness.

Missy-I'm trying to weed corn syrup out of my life. I'll look for that doc.

Dguzman-She was awful in this flick. Just awful.

Vikki-I liked some of Nicole's work but not this. Ick. Ew. And blech.

Freida Bee said...

Alright :(