Saturday, December 22, 2007

Cooking with Dr. Monkey (with a special guest appearance by Baking with Sparky)

Tonight's episode:
Actually, tonight's episode is one of Sparky's favorite suppers! It's turkey burger pita's with fresh salsa and spicy potatoes on the side. I got this turkey burger pita recipe out of a low fat cookbook we got after my bypass.
I started by peeling and slicing two medium sized potatoes. Then I put them on to boil.
Next up I diced this cilantro, the cherry tomatoes, the serrano chili (after I deseeded and deribbed it), and the green onions.
I then mixed all of them up in a little bowl and I added a dash or two of red wine vinegar. Then I let it all sit and marinate.
********
Next up I sliced a medium sized onion. I then added a dash of cardamon, a tea spoon of sweet Spanish paprika, a tea spoon of chili powder, a dash of turmeric, and a table spoon of cracked black pepper to some oil in a frying pan. I tossed in the onion after the oil got hot.
********
After that I then chopped up a small orange bell pepper and I sauteed it. I put in half a pack of 93% fat free ground turkey and I let it all cook up. I spiced the turkey with cumin, chili powder, and some black pepper.
********
When my potatoes were cooked through I poured off the water and I added them to my spicy onion saute. I also tossed in a few chopped cloves of garlic.

While that stuffed cooked up I cut some pita bread and warmed it up. I also shredded some low fat cheddar cheese. After everything was done, I plated it.We put the salsa in the pitas and topped them off with some fat free sour cream. Mmmm, tasty. I usually add fresh spinach to the potatoes but unfortunately, I let us run out and we forgot to buy some at the grocery store today.
********

Before I made dinner though, Sparky had been baking up a storm. She made some spicy almonds and pecans. And she made some cookies that she had seen The Barefoot Contessa make on TV the other day called "Jam Thumbprints." Sparky does all the baking because I can't bake for shit and let me tell you kids, she hit a home run with these cookies. However since they are loaded with real butter I can't eat too many of them.
She made apricot and rasberry thumbprint cookies. Don't they look good? That little morsel next to the cookies cooling on the rack is part of a cookie I was eating.
********
Happy holiday eating boys and girls!

9 comments:

Life As I Know It Now said...

Oh my god, I actually think I am going to be able to post a comment. It only kicked me off twice before letting me in. The joys of dial up I tell you! Okay, just wanted to say Happy Christmas and can I have some of those cookies, they look delicious?!

GETkristiLOVE said...

And the ever-present Heiney! Kudos to you and Sparky - another fine showing.

joshhill1021 said...

i have wanted turkey burgers lately and now you have really made me want some. that looks really good.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Liberality-I'm so sorry you're having trouble commenting here. I love to read your comments. Happy holidays to you my friend and yes, you can have some cookies but you have to come to Monkey Central to pick them up. You and your hubby drive on down and I'll make a vegetarian meal for us all.

GKL-Your obsession with my Heiny is bordering on sexual harassment. And I thank you.

Boxer-Thanks, it was really good.

Distributorcap said...

yum

off to boston to make some cookies (and be with fmaily)

Karen said...

That's it, I'm favouriting this one - mmmm, spicy turkey burgers and potatoes. God how I love fried 'taters. Can I pop by for dinner next week...say 6'ish?

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Mmmmm, my mom used to make thumbprint cookies at Christmas. I think I will make some next year.

I'm holding off on any turkey eating at this point, as I expect to be indulging for days very shortly.

Crayons said...

Monkey,
I love the way you word your recipes. It's so much easier to follow than the usual frightening commands that cookbooks use.

This one will happen in my kitchen. If you don't mind, could Sparky send 5 or 6 of those beautiful thumbprint cookies to top off the dinner?

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy as always. Yes, you could whip Resident Evil's eating habits into shape! Yes you could.