Friday, November 2, 2007

Cooking with Dr. Monkey

Today's episode "Shoot Out at the Car Wash."

Oops, I mean it's "Red Chicken Curry with Saffron Rice with Raisins."

We watched an episode of Take Home Chef the other night where the take home chef fixed a nice couple a red shrimp curry with saffron rice with raisins and it looked good so I made my version of his dish here. Since we live so far inland I decided not to use the frozen shrimp that is sold around here in grocery stores, I decided to use chicken instead.

I cubed two chicken breasts and I put them in the hot wok that had canola oil and cracked black pepper in it. As the chicken cooked I put in three roughly chopped cloves of garlic and a good size hunk of fresh ginger that I had finely sliced.
Then I added a small red bell pepper that I chopped up, half of a chopped up yellow bell pepper, half of a chopped up Anaheim pepper. I also chopped up a big ol' white onion and tossed it in the wok as well. As that cooked I put on my rice. To the rice I added about half a cup of organic raisins and a wisp of saffron and I let it cook up.
After the meat and veggies cooked a bit I put in two and a half heaping spoonfuls of the red Thai curry paste I bought today, I usually like to make my Thai curry fresh but since I have a hard time finding red chili's around here I used this paste instead and it's quite good as it turns out. I also added that small can of reduced fat coconut milk and that chopped up celery.
After everything was done I plated it and I drizzled some extra red curry sauce from the wok over the whole shebang and then I added the chopped up jalapeno from the previous picture.

*****
It turned out quite well and I'll make this again for sure but I'll add a little salt to the meat and veggies as they cook because the salt will bring out the flavors a bit more and since I don't ingest much salt during the day I can splurge a little at supper.

*****
My vegetarian friends, you can substitute tofu, or mushrooms, or zucchini or whatever for the meat and I think you'll find this dish is quite tasty and has just the right amount of heat.

5 comments:

Randal Graves said...

This looks and sounds pretty damn delicious. Now I'm hungry.

Anonymous said...

That looks good. I've been trying some of the Thai curries at our local joint, and I must say I like them better than most Indian curries.

Missy said...

Mmmm, Take Home Chef.

Whiskeymarie said...

I love red curry. This kind of makes the vegan veggie burger I ate seem kind of "lacking".
If there are any leftovers, put them in an envelope and mail them to me- thanks.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Randal-Go eat something then.

Kirby-All curries are good curries if you ask me.

Missy-Stop drooling over that hunk.

Whiskey-Sorry hon, we ate it all before I saw your comment, otherwise it would be on it's way.