Saturday, November 17, 2007

10,000 Villages, 1 Presbyterian Church

It turns out huge cracks will not appear in the earth's crust and our home planet will not shift off it's axis and spin wildly into outer space if Sparky and I set foot in a church. Crazy huh? I found this out this morning around 11:30 when she and I drove to First Presbyterian Church Elizabethton. Elizabethton used to be the home of a deranged woman who was distantly related to me who I was taught to refer to as "Aunt Lillian" and she had a morbid fear two things: hippies and colored toilet paper, she thought both were a Communist plot to take over the USA. These days however Aunt Lillian is long dead and First Presbyterian is in the hands of local minister, peace and justice activist, monkey pal, and all around good guy Reverend John Shuck. The good Reverend's church had a sale today that Sparky and I didn't want to miss and that is how we found ourselves back inside a church today.


Outside of the lovely First Presbyterian Church in Elizabethton, TN.


Reverend John is one of the few good guys we know in religious circles and we have shopped at the 10,000 Villages store in Asheville, NC many times so it was a no brainer for us to ride over and drop in on the sale. Unfortunately for us the good Reverend was nowhere in sight and neither were monkey pals Bobby, Donna, and Susie, but somehow we managed to contain our sadness and we took in all the sale had to offer. We saw items like this cool cat purse and wooden snakes. Oddly enough no one wanted to handle the snakes so I picked one up and I began speaking in tongues. Well, not really, I didn't speak in tongues but I did pick one up and threaten to speak in tongues, but since Sparky told me I'd be walking back to Johnson City if I did, I decided not to.
We dug these toys made in Kenya but since we already have a wire dude on a wire bicycle that we bought from 10,000 Villages in Asheville years ago we didn't buy one of these. There were many hand carved items for sale, like these turtles. However all the items were not benign, it turns out that First Pres. may be on the wrong side of the war on Christmas! You want further proof? Check this out: Egads! How unseemly! A "Christian" church selling Christmas cards without the word "Christ" on them! Alert the baby Jesus, call FOX, get Bill O'Reilly down here STAT!

As we looked around at the rest of the items for sale I invented a new game. I call it "Basket or Hat?" The way we play is I show you a picture and you tell me if the object is a basket or a hat. Ready? Good! Here we go:


Basket or hat?


Basket or hat?


Basket or hat?

Ok, I admit that my game sucks, but trust me if Sparky had consented to my numerous pleas to put a basket on her head and wear it like a hat this game would have a lot more fun. Or if she had taken my picture wearing a basket as a hat then the fun would have never stopped!


We ended up buying some neat stuff, mostly Christmas decorations and ornaments, and we're glad we went. Maybe one day we might actually go to John's church on a Sunday and attend services, but don't hold your breath kids. It does my heart good to see that someone like John is the pastor at such a lovely church and I hope he continues his progressive ministry there for many years to come.

For the better part of the next four hours we wandered around in the many antique shops of downtown Elizabethton and in one of those shops I purchased this:
It's a Good Housekeeping magazine from 1955. I paid $1.37 for it. I'll be scanning in various articles and ads very soon and I'll share them with you here and on my other blog. I also saw this great item in one of those shops:
However I did not purchase them.

I did come across a store downtown that I know I'll be spending more time at very soon. It's a kitschy pop culture shop called "TV Memories." It sells all kinds of crazy old action figures, magazines, record albums, cereal boxes, and other bits of pop culture ephemera from the late 60's through today. It's my kind of shop but Sparky could barely stand to be in there for very long so I'll be going back soon to see the rest of their magical offerings. I'm not sure but I think I may want some of my ashes spread there after I get cremated.

All in all it was a nice trip to Elizabethton we had and we owe it all to John Shuck and his fantastic church.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was laughing at this and MathMan asked me what was so funny.

I told him that you were speaking in tongues. Then I took another drink from this funky looking green drink he mixed for me.

I couldn't get him to put a basket on his head, though.

John Shuck said...

Hey Dr! Wow, thanks for the nice words and for shopping. Ya just missed me. I strolled in around noon, which is generally a good time to start the day.

Again, thanks for all the pics and for checking us out!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Aunt Lillian was not the only woman deathly afraid of coloured toilet paper.

That is a lovely looking church, and I'm glad they had so many great bowls, er hats, ... bowls.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

D Cup-I'll bet he would look much better with a basket on his head.

John-Thank you for sponsoring the sale. And get that dead ass of yours out of bed earlier.

Barb-So you think coloured toilet paper is a plot too?

Freida Bee said...

I am so jealous of that Good Housekeeping. I bet it has the best advice for women!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you chickened out on the whole speaking in tongues thing.

Fran said...

It is as if I could hear you- could feel you speaking in tongues all the way up here in Neeeeew Yawk. Freaky!

BTW- hippies and colored tp are 2 of the seven signs of the apocalypse, which you might know if you were not the former Catholic and monkey worshipper that you are today. As a Catholic I don't really know this either, but hot damn, it sounded good, din't it?

And speaking of signs of the coming end times, I would have paid me some big time cash money to hear and see you speaking in tongues with snakes!!

It seems like a cool church and a cool sale. And that pastor John seems like one cool dude.

One of these days the We Are family must come pay y'all a visit.

My church is pretty ok for the Catholic version but I must add that we have two most excellent priests. To have one would be great but two is just awesome. If one or both of them goes, Episcopalians here I come.

We don't have good sales though.

Bob said...

Ah, well, we were close; we missed you by an hour or so; reckon we passed like ships in the night, or some-such like that. Let me know next time you're down by the church; we live right close to the church and would be most honored by a monkey-visit.

dguzman said...

Ditch Sparky for an afternoon, and I'll go with you to the TV Memories store -- sounds awesome! Like Sparky, Kat would probably refuse to even go into the store. They just don't recognize the true greatness of crap stores like we do.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Freida-And teens too, it's full of tips for "today's" teens.

Kirby-I didn't feel like walking 20miles back home.


Fran-You know what they say, where ever you find two priests you'll find a fifth.

Bobby-You never know when I might turn up again.

Dguz-It's a date! Let's spend the day there checking out all the neat old stuff.

Blueberry said...

The answer to the quiz is "hat" in every case.

Dr. Zaius said...

Those bookends are too cool for school!

Suzy said...

Aunt Lilian is probably cavorting with my Aunt Jean, who despised hippies (there's a family legend about her refusing to pick up a hitchhiker, saying "He's so ugly, he can walk"). I'll say this for Aunt Jean though: she was ardently right wing, but as a scientist she was firmly pro-choice. She absolutely could not understand the Right's anti-abortion stance.