Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Green Monkey ABC Mix

Somehow I managed to wrangle another spot in another Green Monkey mix! This one was tough to get into since Splotchy limited the participants to songs that begin with a specified number of letters in the alphabet. As luck would have it my obsessive checking of other people's blogs paid off for me and I got in under the wire and I was able to take part in my second GMMP mix.

Splotchy assigned me the letters P through T and here are a few words about my choices:

P-I chose an Ute Lemper song for my P selection because she gets very little love here in the US of A. She's my second favorite German female singer, sorry Ute but Nena, she of the 99 Luft Balloons and fuzzy arm pits will always be my fave German female vocalist. Passionate Fight comes from her Punishing Kiss CD and it is one of my favorites off that stellar effort.

Q-This one almost threw me for a loop until I remembered a song that Sparky and I had heard not too long ago when I put the John Prine CD's in the Scion. Quit Hollerin' at Me is one of my favorite newish songs of Prine's and it also is something I usually have to say to family members when I see them, I come from a family of LOUD talkers and shouters.

R-Respectable is my second favorite song off my favorite Rolling Stones recording. I love the lyrics, "You're the easiest lay on the White House lawn." If you're not dancing when you hear this song then you're probably dead.

S-Beckeye was the first to put an Elvis Costello song into the Green Monkey Music Matrix and I'll always have a grudge against her for it (just kidding sugar). She chose a good one but this one is from Armed Forces which was the first Elvis album I owned. Senior Service is early Elvis at his snarling, sneering, world hatin' best. How great are these angry lyrics about wanting to get ahead by any means possible: "I want your dick, I want the seat that you sit on, I want your chair." I love this song, I love this album, and I love angry Elvis.

T-Nah, nah, nah, I got the first Nick Lowe song all up in the Green Monkey. What? No one else loves Nick as much as I do? Well feck off then. The Rose Of England is such a hip song that it takes me away when I hear it. It should, like all Nick Lowe's stuff, be played and appreciated more than it is. I admit it, I'm a pub rock geek. Pub rockers, for those of you who do not know are people like Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Graham Parker, and Iam Gomm. Let the clever writing and music of this Nick Lowe ditty take you away and then go buy some of Nick's CD's.


Thanks for letting me do my second Green Monkey Music Mix Mr. Splotchy. It's a great thing you did by unleashing that verdant simian onto the blogosphere.

8 comments:

Splotchy said...

Nice descriptions, man!

You may or may not believe this, but I have not previously heard any of these songs before.

MizSplotchy is a huge Elvis fan, but the only album of his I am very familiar with is My Aim Is True.

I have been meaning to get me some John Prine for ages. I heard a song by him at a friend's wedding -- it was some duet he did with a woman (I can't remember who it was, or what the song was called), and I really loved it. This will be a kick in the pants for me to listen to the man.

I really like the Ute Lemper song -- never heard of her before. I like how the last song on my selections rolls into this song. It's a nice transition.

I've never been a big Stones junky (I guess I am more in the Beatles camp), but I do like a smattering of their songs, of which I'll add this one! And I can't deny that Some Girls is one of the best album covers ever.

Thanks a lot for playing, man.

Anonymous said...

I just put Respectable and Amanda Jones on the kid's IPod. I figured he needed to know that the Rolling Stones were more than just a punch line.

Oh, and I share your Nick Lowe love. It even extends to the ex-Mrs. Lowe, Carlene Carter. That thing she did with Rockpile was the coolest. Last I heard she was caught in New Mexico with a stolen car and some heroin. Too bad.

Cup said...

Yo, dude. Excellent list. I got a bit of a spine shiver when I saw your Elvis-to-Nick transition. You know, Mr. Lowe's on tour right now — but he ain't coming down south. Maybe he's still feeling bitter about Carlene.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Splotchy-Thanks for letting me play.

Kirby-Good job on giving the kid some good music on the ol' I Pod.

Beth-We're all feeling bitter about Carlene.

Joe said...

Great choices, especially that Elvis to Nick Lowe segue. I think you will achieve Green Monkey Master before I do

BeckEye said...

Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe are awesome. There is a video on YouTube of Elvis covering the Manfred Mann tune, "Pretty Flamingo," with the help of Nick Lowe, my love Glenn Tilbrook and his bandmates Chris Difford and Gilson Lavis. I watch it frequently. It's really a great cover...you should check it out.

"Respectable" is a great Stones tune from my favorite of their albums. What's your #1 song from it? Mine is "Shattered," which is also my favorite Stones song of all time. As far as Some Girls goes, it's "Shattered," followed by "Before They Make Me Run." "Respectable" is probably in the #3 or #4 slot, depending on my mood.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I can hardly wait to go listen to the Ute Lemper song. German vocalists bring a whole different slant to things generally.

And don't know that particular John Prine song at all. Must go listen!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Bubs-At the rate those slots fill up, I'm not so sure.

Beckeye-My favorite is "Before They Make Run."

Barb-I hope you enjoyed them!