Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The CD so nice I bought it twice

The other day I was thinking about how much I had enjoyed this CD by Jill Sobule: I felt like listening to it but then I remembered I had sold it or swapped it out for something else at one of our local used book/CD stores here in Johnson City. I thought to myself, "You idiot, we could be hearing those cool pop with a wistful sense of longing songs of hers right now but oh no, your dumb ass had to swap it out for some books you didn't even read all the way through. If you weren't me, I'd be kicking your ass now."


Then earlier today while out with the gf we stopped at one of our local used book/CD stores here in Johnson City. I found a few books I had wanted and she found some as well. Then I walked over and began looking in the bargain CD bins and lo and behold but what did I find? My old Jill Sobule CD! It was priced to move at $5 so I picked it up, I also found an IRS sampler from 1994 that I had not seen before and since it had a song by Kirsty MacColl and a song by Concrete Blond on it, I bought it as well.


I popped the Jill Sobule in the car CD player and I resolved never to sell or swap Jill again.


I'm already carrying enough white boy guilt over Marshall Crenshaw and Steve Forbert to last a lifetime.You see, back in the late 70's both of these guys were touted as the next big thing and I really liked the sound of both of them but I never bought any of their albums. And now years later I feel like it's my fault that they both had such mediocre careers. Somehow I feel like if I had bought their albums years ago then they would have been huge. Of course I ignore the fact that most of the people in this country also neglected to buy their albums as well, it's my Catholic guilt upbringing raising it's ugly head I guess.


Oh well, I've learned my lesson and I'll never part with my Jill Sobule again. And if she makes another good CD, then I'll buy it. And one day I might even make an effort to see her live and in concert, I doubt I'll go that far but one never knows.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to post your iPod play list. I'm really enjoying your selections.

Marshall Crenshaw ruled, btw.

Regards,

Tengrain

Cup said...

The last time I saw Marshall Crenshaw — in a pitifully small club — he got us all singing a rousing rendition of "I never fulfilled my musical promise / Because Monkerstein was a CD slack***." Then he cried.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Tengrain-I have no Ipod, but I do have opinions!

Beth-Stop mkaing me feel more guilty you damn harpy! :)

Jess Wundrun said...

Steve Forbert was spinning on the turntable the night Jess Wundrun checked a milestone of young adulthood off her list.

TMI?