Sunday, June 24, 2007

Music Madness Answers

I think enough time has gone by and that everybody who wants to figure out the song from the first line has done so, so here are the rest of the answers.

1)Of one that is so fair and bright, Velud maria stella... STAR OF THE SEA by Mediaeval Baebes-admittedly an esoteric group but I really dig the complex harmonies they have and sometimes I'm a sucker for hot chicks who sing in Latin, it must be the old ex Catholic in me.

2) My thoughts seem to be around my ankles today, over the weekend they passed before me like a tired parade. OUT OF MY HEAD by Sun 60-I first heard this group on the Stanley, Son of Theodore sampler and I loved it. I bought their self titled album because of it but I wished I hadn't wasted my money since this is the only song on it I liked.

3) Bonfires dot the rolling hillsides, figures dance around and around to drums that pulse out echoes of darkness moving to that pagan sound. ALL SOULS NIGHT by Loreena Mckennitt-I love this Canadian gal. Her blending of medieval and modern music is haunting and lively. As soon as the temps outside drop below 45 I put on one of her CDs and I welcome the cold.

8) I changed my clothes ten times before I took you on a date...DOES EVERYONE STARE by The Police-it's off of Regatta de Blanc, one of their most underrated recordings.

9) You took me into the forest, I liked you right away. SUGAR by April March-I adore the 98 lb confection that is April March. She sings in French and in English and her sound is like the pinnacle of pop music.

10) Obscure the late afternoon with a drape, don't let him follow her latest escape. PASSIONATE FIGHT by Ute Lemper- one of the best songs off the Teutonic songstress's Punishing Kiss CD.

13) I been walking through the barnyard and I got it all over my shoes... GUIT-STEEL BLUES by Junior Brown-I can not resist the song and guitar stylings of Junior Brown. Plus he's got one of the most distinctive voices in music today.

15) I've heard 'em say there's one for everybody and I just knew somehow that you'd be the one for me...HOTTER THAN MOJAVE IN MY HEART by Iris Dement-She is mountain roots music at it's best and she's banned from Wal-Mart for recording an "anti-Wal-Mart" song, what's not to love?

16) Yeah, election time's comin', who ya gonna vote for? IF I WAS PRESIDENT by Wyclef Jean-if this song were not so true then it would be funny.

17) You lit a flame in my heart and it is burning still. STRUMMERVILLE by Stiff Little Fingers-It's their tribute to the late great Joe Strummer and one of the many many many fine cuts off their Guitar and Drum CD. If you call yourself a punk rocker and you don't own a SLF CD then sorry Sparky, you're just a wanna be, a whore, a poseur.

18) One bright and sunny mornin' down on Avenue B, as I was returnin' home from a night of debauchery...CZECHOSLOVAKIA by Black 47-one of the funniest songs ever recorded by one of the most over looked bands ever. If you like the Pogues and U2, then check out Black 47, they feckin' rock.

19) You honk the horn on your Mercedes Benz, I've rolled up my window so you're honkin' again. ONE BLADE SHY OF A SHARP EDGE by Nancy Griffith-I was not into La Griffith until my girlfriend turned me on to her and boy am I grateful. This is a great song about a Republican asshole who is trying to hit on a woman and how the woman shuts him down. Check out her Other Voices, Other Rooms CD sometime, she covers a shitload of songs by other songwriters on it, I saw her and John Prine in concert together when she was on tour to support it and it was one of the best live shows I have ever seen.

Matty Boy correctly guessed most of the songs so he is the winner. And his prize is his band. the Wonders of Science, has been named the official house band of Monkey Muck! Congrats Matty and thanks to all of you who participated. Special shout out to Madame Kelsi for correctly guessing that Chumbawamba song!

3 comments:

Johnny Yen said...

I agree with you on the Black 47 song! Maria's Wedding is also a funny one!

I just watched "Let's Rock Again," a documentary about Joe Strummer-- great guy. My best friend met him at a California rock festival just a few months before he died and he chatted for a while with him. My friend got him to sign a poster for me-- one of my most treasured possessions.

If you like John Prine, they just released the DVD a great show he did in 1980 on Soundstage, a show on the Chicago public television station. I saw Prine a number of times, but my favorite was on May 11, 1979-- my 18th birthday. I also got to see him perform with his best friend, the late Steve Goodman.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I saw your post abot the Joe Strummer movie and I will definitely check it out. I am also planning on buying those Mescaleros CDs soon. Thankas for the heads up on the Prine DVD.

kelsi said...

i can't believe i didn't get the loreena mckennit one. she's totally one of my (secret) guilty musical pleasures, and i've been mulling those lyrics for days. but the connection! it was not there! in my brain!