Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Labels are good sometimes

Sundance Channel is plugging the hell out of a new show they got coming up called Music From People You Care Less About Live on Videotape from Abbey Road Studios. According to the hyperbole geniuses over at Sundance the Abbey Road studios were the greatest recording studios ever. I like the most all the Beatles music so I'm gonna let that bit of over the top nonsense lay where it landed. But the promo campaign for this show got me to thinking, and that's always a dangerous thing.

If the Abbey Road studios were the greatest in the world, then what was the greatest record label ever? Some say Motown, and since I was born in the Motor City when they were putting out hit after hit I might agree, some argue it's IRS, or Sub Pop, or Swan Song Records. Well those who say such things are wrong. No record label can hold a candle to Stiff Records in my book.
Stiff began it's short but productive life in the mid to late 1970's and it boasted a roster of talent that would make any other label green with envy. It had Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, the pride of Ohio Rachel Sweet, Tracey Ulmann, the wildly energetic Tenpole Tudor,
Lene Lovich, the late Desmond Dekker, Jona Lewie, possibly the greatest girl group ever the Belle Stars, the incomprable Wreckless Eric, Ian Dury, the late great Kristy MacColl, and many many more.
Eventually the label died in the mid eighties and you can read the Wikipedia article about it all here and the official website for the late lamented label is here.

One of my most prized albums used to be a Stiff Records sampler with Elvis Costello singing a Burt Bacarach song on it. It was the first time I ever thought ol' Burt was cool, until I found out he used to boink Angie Dickenson, then he was cool forever in my book. Alas I lost or sold or did something horrid to that album and it's lost forever. About 15 years ago Rhino Records came out with a 4 CD box set called The Best of Stiff or something like that and I snapped it up. Unfortunately I sold it a year later when I was unemployed and I regret to this day that I did that. But as luck would have it a Wreckless Eric song was featured in Stranger Than Fiction and after I saw it I went to Amazon.com and ordered the two Stiff sampler CDs they offered. I've been rocking out for two months now and I think my girlfriend is hooked on most of the Stiff music as well.
And boys and girls, if you listen to some of that music I linked, the reason it sounds so modern is because most of those artists were so far ahead of their time it's not funny. And that's why Stiff Records is my pick for the best record label ever.

7 comments:

Matthew Hubbard said...

And so say we all. I agree completely, and my pal Padre Mickey over at the Dance Party would also concur.

Many years ago, when the Stiff Records box set collection came out in the late eighties, I went to Tower Records (boo!) to check it out. I didn't see it right away, so I asked the tragically hip clerk if it was available. He looked at me and sighed in a world weary way. There is no such thing as Stiff Records, he informed me in his I know more about music than you, you pathetic over 30 senile geezer voice. I probably meant Slash Records, and he didn't know if they had a boxed set coming out.

After a little more searching based on filing methods that have nothing to do with the English alphabet, I found the boxed set. I could have been huffy and taken my business elsewhere, but I bought it there. I could have been nasty and hit the clerk i the head with the boxed set, but I didn't. I'm planning on using this incident at the gates of heaven to prove that I actually am a nice person.

PJ said...

Love that hideous Wreckless Eric suit, and the button admitting, "I'm a mess!" He's so cute - I could eat him.

Anonymous said...

All praise to Stiff! The label is actually re-activated and risen from the ashes. They've started releasing re-issues this Spring (Wreckless Eric - Big Smash; Tracey Ullman; Rachel Sweet - Fool Around; Any Trouble; Dirty Looks) with more to come they say. They've also been signing new acts (I haven't heard any of them yet, but if Stiff is signing them, they've got to be interesting).
Good timing. The music industry desperately needs something like Stiff to kick it's arse. Tomorrow's Music Today. :-)

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Matty Boy-You and the Padre are the only reasons we allow California to stay in the union, well that and Golden Gate bridge, we're suckers for a nice bridge.

PJ-Wreckless rocks.

Anon-You have brought most welcome news oh stranger. Stiff back from the dead!

Fran said...

Ahhhh-

Such
Happy
Musical
Memories

Nothing like a good stiff I say.

I am awash in the golden halcyon days of the memory of that music.

I have to go now - Stiff take me away!

SamuraiFrog said...

Yay, Stiff! It cannot be praised enough. One of my first ever Friday Fives was all Stiff music.

But how could you not mention the genius of Madness?

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I knew someone would castigate me for leaving off their favorite Stiff artist. My apologies Master Frog.