Sunday, March 2, 2008

Out and about

We'd planned earlier in the week to get all cultural on our own asses this weekend and go see some art exhibits at ETSU but when the sun came out here yesterday we forgot all about that and we took off in the Sparky mobile. We ended up in Greeneville, TN, which as some of you may know is the gateway to Moshiem, Mohawk, and Bulls Gap (birthplace of Hee Haw alum Archie Campbell). Greeneville is the birthplace of former President Andrew Johnson.

I have to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Greeneville. It's a scruffy, poorly laid out, and mostly ugly city here in east TN. The only nice part of it is the downtown area, and that's where we ended up. We spent the afternoon in a few different antique stores. We spotted some horny monkeys
and I finally found out how my blogger buddy Bossy became a millionaire: As usual in the antique stores around here there were bins full of old albums. Here are a few of my favorites. Once again I ask you, how many people are in a quartet? Nope. Try again.Close, but no cigar. Aww, screw it, I give up. You gospel singers never learn.

I picked up a few postcards that feature Johnson City in the 1970's and a couple of you will be getting them soon. I also bought a Look magazine from 1967 that had Vanessa Redgrave on the cover. Grr baby, she was quite the smokin' hottie back then wasn't she. I've scanned all the photo's and ads I liked out of it and recycled the rest. While the copy of Look and the postcards were nice, my major find of the day was 5 copies of Mademoiselle from 1961 for $4. They had been in the collection of a local college but somehow they found their way to this antique store and ultimately into my hot little simian hands. As you can imagine they are chock full of pictures of crazy fashions, wild ads, and other pop culture stuff. I'll be scanning stuff from them soon and I'll be posting some on this blog and some on Monkey-Scan, so keep your eyes peeled. So, what did you kids get up to this weekend?

14 comments:

Joe said...

Clearly the "Good News Quartet" had way too much good news for just 4 people.

Synthaetica said...

how come these fundiechristians can't count?

o wait, that's right. they only count the males. how stewpid of me.

Dr. vM, i'm just damned happy that you're out and about and feeling better. you have fun scanning!

Missy said...

Awesome find! I like that little girl monkey.

In 2000, saw Vanessa Redgrave play the dad in The Tempest at the Globe Theatre in London. And it was pouring rain! It was great! She did a great job. That was one of my fave cultural moments of all time.

This weekend I drank a little more than normal- it is fun to be silly buzzed sometimes. I went out for a BBQ feast with my friends last night. Today my husband and I are off to the MN History Center to see exhibits about spies and the history of Lake Street (which is just 2 blocks north of our house).

Tonight I am going to a Buster Keaton style performance at my fave theater: http://www.jeunelune.org/

I am really stoked. Thanks for asking...are you sorry you asked?!?!?!

Suzy said...

Did you notice the "Voice From the Right: William F. Buckley, Jr." thang in the bottom left corner of the Mademoiselle magazine? Odd coincidence, seeing as how he kicked the bucket this week.

Mnmom said...

My weekend? Thanks for asking. Just the usual Mom stuff but fun anyway.

Life As I Know It Now said...

Oh, I had to work at the library. When it got up to almost 60 degrees today the people left in droves and I had to content myself with reading until quitting time. But it sounds like you had some fun. I just love to go antiquing and to flea markets. You never know what you'll find.

Blueberry said...

Clearly, the ones in brown on the top record are Bad News.

And the Bad News for "Soldiers of the Cross" is that there are 5 of them (did they lose one? And was it Good News or Bad News?) and only 3 crosses.

Crayons said...

Dr.

I really enjoy these thrift store outings of yours. Now I remember what scared me about Tennessee: those haunting three crosses on every farm.

re: Mademoiselle magazine. The apricot blazer pairs so well with the chiffon pink top.

Micgar said...

I always loved looking at those Look and Life magazines-my grandparents must have had subscriptions. I could stay there for hours just reading and looking at the pictures. That's some good memories, thanks for taking me back!

dguzman said...

Shopping for wedding clothes--and getting re-motivated to keep up my exercise program!

Randal Graves said...

Jesus says math is hard!

GETkristiLOVE said...

Hey, stop that monkeying around! Oh wait, since you ARE a monkey, it's okay.

Mauigirl said...

I love finding old magazines and other things like that in antique stores. I'll be looking forward to more scans!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Bubs-I never thought of it that way.

Commander-I'm glad I'm out and about too.

Missy-I am so jealous you got to see la Vanessa live and on stage.

Suzy-The picture of him in the magazine is horrid.

MNMom-Sometimes the usual is good.

Liberality-Being stuck in a library isn't so bad. :)

Blueberry-They all have a cross to bear.

Crayons-Most farms have taken those crosses down, so you can come back and visit us if you like.

Micgar-You're welcome.

Dguzman-You go girl.

Randal-But salvation is easy evidently.

GKL-I'll stop when you stop.

Maui-Cool.