- I believe religion is a racket designed to enrich a few people, witness the untold wealth of the Vatican and the Protestant mega churches. The gospels speak against amassing great wealth yet modern Christian ministers have twisted and parsed scripture to allow themselves to become wealthy and to assuage the consciences of wealthy people.
- I believe all religions are a way for the few to control the many.
- I believe in science and the scientific method. Science doesn't claim to have all the answers but we know for a fact that what science discovers is true because of the scientific method.
- Even though we've been awful to one another and we will stab each other in the back if it suits us, I believe in the essential goodness of people. There are some bad apples among us, both religious and non religious, but by and large people do the right thing or want to do it and are kept from it by corporations, religions, or governments.
- I believe in doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do, not because I fear the wrath or judgement of a deity if I don't.
- I believe that when we die our energy goes into other things, so that means I believe in reincarnation of a sort.
- I believe in speaking out against hypocrisy.
- I'm not perfect and I know that others aren't either. I don't expect perfection from myself or others.
- I believe that you should avoid: any one who says they have all the answers, anyone who tells you they are a Christian within 30 seconds of meeting you, any business that uses a Jesus fish in it's advertising, any business that calls itself 'Golden Rule_____.'
- I believe you can believe in any religion you like as long as it doesn't infringe on me or as long as you don't try to convert me to it.
- I believe religion is like your genitals. I'm happy for you if you like yours but don't try to show them to me unless I tell you it's okay to do so and don't force them on kids.
- I believe we all evolved from a single common ancestor. And the fact that we did so was a matter of chance and natural selection.
- I believe that we are not alone in the universe and that many planets contain all sorts of forms of life.
- I believe that the only reason we haven't found life on other planets yet is because the universe is so vast a place that looking for and finding life on other planets is like trying to find the head of a pin that's been dropped somewhere in the Pacific ocean.
- I believe that one day humans will get off this planet and colonize other planets and I hope that we don't make the same mistakes there that we made here.
- I believe the world will be a much better place to be when we leave all Bronze age religions behind. Or at least recognize that they are all myths.
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Something to believe in
Some people who believe in one of the Bronze age religions love to claim that if you're an atheist then you believe in nothing. And that's untrue. I can't speak for, and would never presume to speak for, any other atheist but I believe in many things and here's some of them: